Alexandra M. Pickett, Director, Online SUNY Online Teaching.
.Workshop: Burned Out – Stories of Compassion Fatigue
Dr. Patrice Torcivia Prusko, Assistant Director, Learning Design, in the Harvard Graduate School of Education, Teaching and Learning Lab.
Whitney Kilgore, Ph.D., Co-Founder and Chief Academic Officer, iDesign.
Tracks: Plenary (Online Instructional Designer, Online Faculty)
DAY 5: Friday, February 26, 2021
11:00AM – 12:00PM
Authors Patrice Prusko and Whitney Kilgore will discuss their findings initially reported in their article, Burned Out: Stories of Compassion Fatigue published on Tuesday, December 1, 2020 in The Professional Development Commons.
Patrice & Whitney will share a quick overview of the compassion fatigue article. We will then spend some quiet time reflecting and discussing the following questions:
- You may have experienced burnout prior to COVID, in what ways might you be experiencing more or less burnout in the current work environment, and do you have any concerns as you consider your spring and beyond plans? (What are the plans? Has a decision been made?)
- Tell us about a specific experience where you have experienced burnout since COVID-19?
- What has been the narrative at your institution about the working conditions/hours for your ID team? Were you able to get additional support?
- How has being on the front lines of digital transformation been good for the ID profession? What has been bad?
- What advice or suggestions for the field in the future?
- What are the things you wish you could share with your administrators that would help or if you are a leader that you wish you could do to support your staff?
Before departing, we’ll take a moment to document one thing that you will do to address your needs or the needs of others.